Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Letter from Rev. John Stubbs: September 1849

One of Four Known Letters sent by John Stubbs, his daughter, Mary, and son-in-law Thomas Williams, of Kendal, Westmorland, England to his son, Reverend Thomas Stubbs, a Wesleyan Methodist Minister, in the United States of America.

From: John Stubbs Kendal, England

September 19, 1849
My verry Dear Son Daughter with all your children with my grandaughter and my great grand children
my Prayers shall be offered up for you all as long as long as I retain my Faculties or am a probationer here below. Your Father is now well stricken in years it's not likely that I shall be permitted long to continue in this Vale of Tears. But I resinedly can say thy will be done. This is the Lords mercy I have been now above four years incapable of dowing any thing for my support yet the Lord has taken care of me, blessed be his Holy Name. Had I a thousand years yet more to spend on this teumultious shore, I would them all resign to him who has my benefacture been. When I looke at by gone years what the Lord has done for me and wrought in me I cannot help saying goodness and mercy hath followed me all my Days. My remnant of Days I'll spend in his Praise Who did the whole World Redeme. Be they maney or few my Days are this View and shall all be Devoted to him.
I was over In Ravenstonedale at a Lovefest in June, my Nephew wished me to go over to see them once again. I went on the Railroad to Tebay in Orton Parrish and walked the other Eight Miles. When I returned they brought me to the station. I do not think that there is half of the inhabitence in Ravenstonedale there was fifty four years ago when we left it. On the 10th of June I was at whinfell had to talk in to the people abought Eternal things, o how solom is the work. And on the 19th of August was again at Whinfell stayed each time one week with them. I was appointed to Gatebeck on the First of July and the 9th of September. Tarried with them one week each time. I looke upon this as a great kindness to a superaneuated old Man.
August 26th Went to Setbergh for Joseph Severs, he being out of health. It was 10 years since I had spoken in Setbrgh Chapel. Some of my old friends was glad to see me and I believe to hear me. I know it is no common thing to hear an Old man Addressing a publick congregation upon the most momentious subjects in the World. I got Tee at Edward Birkits Widdows, she livs in a verry good House close to the Church yard, keeps boarders, has a servant. I look upon her as a clever woman. She would have a little of my hare to keepe. When you write to Edward you may let him know she thinks highely of him.
I have to tell you strange as it may appar to you, I walked to Sebergh. I sertanly wanted a chance to rest my Leggs. Mr. Severs intended that I should go by the railroad. I thought If I cannot Earne any thing with my Hands I will try to do it with my Feete. So I saved the money, Came home on the Monday I walked, the Day was extreamly hot. Changed my shirt when I got home for it was wet, very wet. Went to bed laid 18 houres, Rose well in health, Blessed be the Name of the Lord for all his mercies to Me.
I have not done with retailing to you my Travels. There was affresh opening of the Chapel at Beethwaite Green As they have got a new galery made. Both Thomas William and your Father was their. When the Meeting was over Robert Gibson tooke my home in his gig. I had a plesant weeke with the Family he livs at Arnside Tower has a large Farme. It is [stelence?] of Fighting Cocks you know where that is unless you have forgott. We used to go their in the bathing season. When I came home they brought me in their convaience untill I wanted Six Miles and three quarters of home. Came through Lovers Park, got something to Eate under one of the overgrone trees surrounded with Bucks and does, had time to contempolate what almighty Hand had done all those things. Got well home Blessed be god for all his mersis To Me. And now I wish to convay to you through this Letter my Sumer Excursions. I think that you will Wounder what the Lord has inabled Me to perform. I have bane thinking that you would be tired with the Letter and so I will conclude this subject.
Your Sister Mary has ben out of Health for Two Months with an excruating pain in her Head. She was worn down with pain Night and Day, but is a little better for which I am thankful to the Lord. She has lost maney of her Teth so that age is comming upon her. Thomas is Well so is Rachel and Robert. Margret their youngest daughter is at home. Robert is for biding in England till he can save money to bring him to Americk. All things is uncertan, I hear The Colra is carrying maney of this stage in to the invisable World. Tamely in the Midst of Life we are in Death. Thomas is upon Tramp Seeking work, James is yet an apprintes, Elizabeth is not up from her Confinement of her sixt Child, Andrew Grahams wife is Dedd. She used to meet with me in clas when they lived in Kendal. You will be suprised to know that Betty Banks is Married to Mr. Castel They live at Bowness. He has five children, Three are grown up, so you see there is nothing but change in this Life. Isabella Staintone is still living at Stavely with her Father and Mother in Law.
I lately had a letter from Ann Dixson from Manchester. She says that her father is in a pour state of health and that they feel [moved?] on his account and well they may for he has been an indulgant Father to them all. She wanted to know when we had had a letter from Americk. If spared I shall return her an answere shortely. My Dear Sone Be a faithful ambasider for christ. May heavens Blessing rest upon you all, Amen

[This part assumed to be from Thos and Mary Williams]
Mr. Antony Barnes has ben over at Kendal, he apeard quite a gentleman. He enquired after you. We gave him your Letter to Read. He gave me half a crown to act Baceo with. Likewise John Bruff has bee over at Kendal. He is very Jolly he is like a lanlord. Your cusin Thomas Stubbs is gone to Australia so we shall see him no more. Margredt Watson sends her kind Love to you. She still lives with Ann Brokebank. She has layen twenty yeares in bed. They live up our yard. Mary Granbank still inquires after you. She lives with Mrs Jennings of Fell Side. We received your Nusepapers While I was writing to you. I see the Death of Walter Prescot. How short and unsertain are all things hear. May the Lord spare your life to your family and the Church. Give our kindest love to Mary Cooke we were glad to hear that she is well.

This letter was addressed to: Rev'd Thos Stubbs, Wesleyan Minister, Cleveland, Ohio, America

No comments:

Post a Comment