Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Last Will and Testament of Mary Stubbs

Mary Stubbs' will does not appear to have been probated. She would outlive her husband and daughter, Jane Miles. John would end up with, at least, her mahogany bureau. We have no idea who "Jane Andrews" is or what her relationship was with the family. Mary Lewis (2nd Great granddaughter) now has the Napkin Ring and her sister Barbara has the Paisley Shawl. I have no idea of the whereabouts of any of the other items mentioned below. A copy of this will was found at the Cuyahoga County Archives.

MY WILL
I, Mary Stubbs of Cleveland Ohio, do in the name of my Creator give and bequeath to my beloved husband Thomas Stubbs my house and lot No 67 Whitman Street Cleveland, 63 feet front, with the furniture therein contained, for his use during his natural life, or if he should be disposed to sell the property, the proceeds to be placed in good security, the principal to remain unused, and he to receive the interest. Or if he is disposed to place the principal in possession of his children, according to each one's shares, and such to give his or her note, so that he can draw the interest during his life, that however is left for him to decide. I bequest to Chase Stubbs, son of R.N. Stubbs, two hundred dollars, on account of his permanent affliction, and that which remains to be divided equally between Jane B. Miles, James. E. Stubbs, R.N. Stubbs, Jabez B. Stubbs. I also give an bequeath to my daughter Jane B. Miles my Mahogany Bureau, also all my wearing apparel to dispose of as she thinks proper with the exception of my Paisley Shawl which I give to Letitia Stubbs. I also give to Jane B. Miles (3) Three silver tea spoons, (1) One silver sugar spoon, (1) One plated table spoon, and (3) Three plated Forks, & my gold breast pin. I give to John Stubbs (2) Two silver tea spoons, (2) Two plated tea spoons, (1) One plated sugar spoon, (2) Two plated forks, and (1) one plated table spoon. I give to James E. Stubbs (2) Two silver tea spoons, (2) Two plated tea spoons, (2) Two plated forks, and (1) One plated table spoons. I also give to R.N. Stubbs (2) Two silver tea spoons, (2) Two plated tea spoons, (2) Two plated table spoons, and (3) Three plated forks. I give to Jabez B. Stubbs, (3) Three silver teaspoons, (1) One plated table spoon, and (2) Two plated forks. I give to Letitia Stubbs my silver breast pin. And to Maria Stubbs, wife of J.E. Stubbs, my napkin ring, and to James E. Stubbs my Caster. To R.N. Stubbs my Tate a Tate, to Jane B. Miles the White China with the waiter, and to John Stubbs the Whatnot, and to Jane Andrews (1) one silver tea spoon. All these articles to remain as long as he keeps house, with the exception of the shawls, breast pins, napkin ring, and the tea spoon to Jane Andrews to be given at my decease. If he viz. my husband, be disposed to let other things go to the persons named at my decease that is left for him to act according to his pleasure.
I hereby appoint my husband and my son J.E. Stubbs as my executors of my last will & testament.
Mary Stubbs
Acknowledged by J.D. Johnson, Wm. C. Storer
March 30, 1876
Death Source: Cuyahoga Co, Ohio Death Records

No comments:

Post a Comment