Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Last Will and Testament of Rev. Thomas Stubbs

The Rev. Thomas Stubbs' will was probated in the Cuyahoga County Probate Court on February 13, 1884, having been written on August 26, 1873. It was probated by Jabez, with John being listed as Thomas' only next of kin who was a resident in Ohio. Jane has already died, Mary (his wife) would live for another two years. Edward Fankell and his children are the husband and children of Isabella Stubbs Fankell, Thomas' daughter by his first wife (Agnes). A copy of this will was found in the Cuyahoga County Archives.

MY WILL
In the name of my Creator I Thomas Stubbs of Cleveland Ohio United State of America, do make & publish my last will and testament. I give and bequeath to my beloved wife, all my property in money, notes, and household furniture that may be owned by me at the time of my decease, during her natural life. She however selling so much thereof as may be sufficient to pay my just debts. At the death of my said wife whatever may remain unconsumed and unexpended, I give and devise equally between my children, James E. Stubbs & his heirs, Robert N. Stubbs and his heirs, Jabez B. Stubbs & his heirs, and my stepdaughter Jane B. Miles. If however either of those children should die, before the decease of my wife, then the said property thus bequeathed shall be equally divided to the children then living, with the exception of John Stubbs. I give and bequeath to my son John Stubbs my Farm situated in Middleburg township Cuyahoga County Ohio, containing fifty and three-fourths acres of land; provided said John Stubbs gives up all claims or title to any other property of which I or his mother die possessed and the farm shall not be sold, or any portion of it, until my wife's decease. And after John Stubbs' decease then the farm shall be sold, and one half, of its value shall be bequested to Maria Stubbs, John's wife, and her heirs, and the other half of its value shall be bequeathed to Robert N. Stubbs and his heirs. If my wife should not survive me, then the property shall be equally divided, to my remaining children & step daughter Jane B. Miles, with the exception of John Stubbs, as he has the farm. At the final settlement after my wife's death, each shall give off their share to the children of Edward Fankell: John Stubbs ($100) one hundred dollars. James E. Stubbs ($100) one hundred dollars. R.N. Stubbs ($100) one hundred dollars. and Jane B. Miles ($100) one hundred dollars. which I bequeath to Mary Fankell and to Charles Fankell, to be equally divided between them. I do hereby appoint my son James E. Stubbs as the sole executor of my last will and testament. Hereby authorizing and empowering him to compromise, adjust, release and discharge in such manner as he may deem property, the debts & claims due me in testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 26th day of August 1873.
Thomas Stubbs (seal)
In our presence: J.D. Johnson and W.W. Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment